8 March 2010

Rumours, Rumours & More Rumours



You can tell when it's a slow news day on the Spurs front when the transfer rumours begin in earnest. One of the biggest downfalls of supporting Spurs has to be the constant, boring speculation around our squad’s futures. It especially grates when you consider we are unable to even do business for a number of months.

Still there's nothing much else to post about other than a potential, tempestuous semi-final with Pompey (courtesy of Mr Ginola, merci beaucoup, Monsieur) but I will come to that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot in the replay.

To make things slightly more interesting I intend to combine the recycled balls the media types think we are interested in with the brilliant album, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac (see where I'm going here...)

If you’re not a fan of the ‘Mac’ then firstly shame on you however, fret not, I'm sure the message shan't be lost on you. Quite conveniently the track list lends itself to this creative wizardry.

Track 1 - Second Hand News (Jenas to Inter)
I know there's nothing to say
Someone has taken my place
When times go bad
When times go rough
Won't you lay me down in tall grass
And let me do my stuff


The answer Jenas is a resounding, unequivocal no. Mr Marmite 'JJ' has once again been linked away to Jose Mourinho’s Serie A Champions, Inter Milan. If the rumour doesn't sound ridiculous enough with the words ‘champion’ and ‘Jermaine Jenas’ put in the same sentence then the fact this rumour began circulating when Mourinho mentioned fleetingly that JJ was in his Fantasy Football Team...two years ago, most certainly doesn’t help it along.

I have always felt that Jenas is a fine athlete and consummate professional however if you are allergic to passing the ball forward then you are going to have trouble whether it be in the Premier League or the lumbering pace in Italy. The £8 million being quoted would be snapped up by Levy but I can't see this one happening for a number of different reasons, the main one being that Jenas just simply isn't good enough regardless of the slow pace and extra space seen in Serie A. I imagine (dream) Jenas will move on in the summer but to Inter? No


Track 2 - Dreams (Keane to Celtic - permanently)
Now here you go again
You say you want your freedom
Well who am I to keep you down
It's only right that you should
Play the way you feel it
But listen carefully to the sound
Of your loneliness


Again a rumour has appeared from someone saying very little. Celtic boss Tony Mowbray was asked if he would like to keep the Irish captain for longer than the end of the season to which he replied, 'Getting him to extend his stay isn’t something that has crossed my mind. But we’ll wait and see. That’s not to say no.’ Considering Keane is head and shoulders above anyone else in Scotland is also reason enough not to say no.

I don't know about you but it doesn't sound like a statement of intent that Celtic are going to go balls out and put big money to keep our beleaguered skipper. Again much ado about nothing due to the fact Celtic simply will never be able to afford Levy's demands for him. Again I would put good money on this never happening because they themselves are skint.


Track 3 - Never Coming Back (O'Hara to Sunderland)
She broke down and let me in
Made me see where I've been
Been down one time
Been down two times
I'm never going back again
You don't know what it means to win


Jamie O has been rueing his luck as he could see himself missing another shot at playing at Wembley. After missing the Carling Cup Final after not being selected, he could miss that potential semi-final tie against us due to being unable to play against his parent club. His disappointment has gone as far as to say he would be hoping for the first time a Spurs loss. Rather than declare treachery against Jamie I admire his desire to play in a massive game at Wembley, which is the ambition for many footballers, regardless of whether it's your boyhood club or not.

It's O'Hara's desire to play first team football that has seen a number of rumours attempt to predict where he will be next season. I fully expect him to be a Spurs player next year if we obtain European football. He has proven himself to be an extremely competent Premier League footballer and his talent, attitude and versatility will come in very handy with the extra games we may have to play. Our current midfield crisis shows his worth to the team along with his consistently good performances for Portsmouth.


I know it’s pointless writing about these rumours because there will continue to be numerous players linked to/away from us even though we are competing for the FA Cup and Champions League qualification. I just want the media to stop with the bullshit and focus on what is looking to be a very exciting end to the season.

6 comments:

  1. Cheers fella

    I was worried 'Won't you lay me down in tall grass, And let me do my stuff' might seem a little sexually inappropriate so hopefully I'm not giving the wrong impression!

    Need to do another one for Pav and his mooted move to 'insert Russian team'.

    Maybe 'Doesn't Anything Last' might be appropriate with him and Harry getting along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I'd dearly love to chip in with a Fleetwood Mac based witticism, but I'm a funk/soul sista, and my FWM knowledge is as dodgy as Hossam Ghally's hayfever remedy (50 quid a gram!).

    KB

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to see some smash robots around the place!

    Welcome KB. I'll have to attempt a funky themed post in your honour for your help in the avatar drama by WFRF's place

    I don't think anyone will be suprised by the professional shirt throwers actions.

    Is it bad to say my most memorable moment from Ghaly was when he got a face full of studs and lost a couple of teeth....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, that might have been one of my most memorable too lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gained a whole lot of respect for the lad in that incident.

    And then he (literally) threw it all away!

    Mind you, we'd seen Robbie Keane throw his shirt in a tantrum at being subbed the very same season, and nobody turned on him like they did our toofless Egyptian.

    Go figure.

    Finally, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ potatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete

All opinions welcome, knee-jerk reactions frowned upon